The following links have been curated by Dr. Ron Birnbaum of Los Angeles County Department of Health Services expressly for PCPs as a centralized overview of efficient, accessible resources. They cover basic concepts and approaches in primary care dermatology. Going through the links in the order provided below is a sensible way to rapidly build a foundation in primary care dermatology.
This compilation acknowledges that primary care providers operate in a “medical neighborhood,” in which support may be available virtually or actually from specialists in dermatology. Thus, the links below include an introduction to the use of clinical decision support and modules on morphology and clinical photography that give advice on skills essential to effective communications with specialists and other colleagues.
Download short Powerpoint modules created by members of the American Academy of Dermatology as part of the freely available Basic Dermatology Curriculum:
- Intro to dermatology: morphology and use of clinical decision support
- Dermatologic Therapies
- Clinical photography
- Skin Cancer Recognition: actinic keratosis and squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, malignant melanoma
- Common non-cancerous growths: Benign skin lesions and evaluating pigmented lesions
- Common rashes 1: Acne, psoriasis, eczema and contact dermatitis, plus the red scaly rash module
- Common rashes 2: Stasis dermatitis, the red leg, and avoiding cellulitis overdiagnosis
- Common rashes 3: light colored spots and dark colored spots
View videos that give practical advice on how to perform common procedures in the care of patients with skin problems: